We want to make this the best experience possible for your learners. Request a free Tech Check and we will test your connectivity, audio and video. We can also give you a brief preview of our award-winning lessons.
How does this work?
There are four ways to virtually connect with Mote Marine Laboratory.
1. Interactive Virtual Lessons (Virtual Field Trips)Live, direct, one-to-one, on-demand
We can see and hear your learners and they can see and hear us. They interact with us in real-time. Lessons are based on the 60+ years of marine science research at our lab located in Sarasota, Florida.
🕙 Available in 25 or 50 minute lengths.
📆 Available on-demand as our availability allows.
💲 There is a fee for these connections.
2. Livestreams and WebinarsLive, shared, one-to-many, scheduled
Dozens or hundreds connect with us at one time to watch a live video feed from Mote and interact through chat.
🕘 Usually 45 minutes long.
📆 Scheduled on specific dates.
🆓 These connections are free.
3. Skype in the classroomLive, direct, one-to-one, scheduled
Select virtual lessons are available on a limited basis through Skype in the classroom. They are offered for free exclusively through Microsoft's eduction portal.
🕔 25 minutes long.
🎟 Limited availability.
🆓 These connections are free.
4. Flipgrid and YouTubeRecorded, direct, one-to-one, on-demand
Ask us anything about the ocean at anytime with our new Flipgrid. Our educators and researchers are available to answer your deep questions. And check out our YouTube channel for recordings of past virtual experiences.
🆓 Flipgrid and YouTube are free.
ℹ️ Learn more about our Flipgrid.
ℹ️ Learn more about our YouTube.
Recommended Technology for Virtual Lessons and Livestreams
You can connect with us using hardware from Poly, Cisco, and LifeSize. Or use software like Zoom, Skype, Webex Teams, and Google Hangout Meets. We will try whatever technology is necessary to connect with your learners.
- Computer or videoconference system (aka, codec).
- Large screen TV or projector. Since this is a a two-way video connection, we recommend using a large, bright TV screen over a projector when possible.
- Webcam or video camcorder. Most laptops have a built in webcam. This can be difficult to position. A better choice is a removable webcam that can be position and focused independently.
- USB Speaker/microphone. A high quality USB speaker/microphone with echo-cancellation will eliminate feedback.
- High-speed internet connection. Wired ethernet preferred. Wireless not recommended.
How to Request a Virtual Lesson
Check our LESSON GUIDE for a full catalog of our lessons, including standards, length, price and resources and available dates. Click the Request/Signup buttons to see available dates. After you submit your request, we will verify your information and lesson availability. Your request is considered tentative until you receive a final confirmation email from us.
Billing and Cancellations
For lessons with a fee, an invoice will be sent to you after we confirm your requests. Requests for lessons are an obligation for payment. Checks should be made out to Mote Marine Laboratory, Inc.
Please send payment to:MOTE MARINE LABORATORYATTN: EDUCATION DIVISION1600 Ken Thompson ParkwaySarasota, Florida 34236
Payment is due within 30 days of delivery of lessons. There will be a 5% interest charge per month on late invoices. Late payment may affect our ability to offer you connections in the future.
Billing Questions: please contact our Manager of Operations and Administration, Lauren Markham at (941) 388-4441;348 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellations: You may reschedule a lesson once per request at no charge for any reason by emailing email@example.com or calling 941-388-2904. Please let us know at least 48 hours prior to your lesson date. Fees will be waived due to technical problems only if they are reliably traced to a malfunction on our end. You may schedule a separate, free Tech Check prior to your lesson to ensure the quality of your connection. You may connect with us up to 10 minutes prior to your scheduled start time to ensure the quality of the connection. However, you must connect with us no later than 15 minutes after your start time to avoid cancellation and billing.