Red Tide Forum for Teachers and Students
There are 3 ways for classrooms to participate in this educational opportunity from Mote Marine Laboratory.
About Red Tide
A red tide, or harmful algal bloom, is a higher-than-normal concentration of a microscopic alga (plant-like organism). In Florida and the Gulf of Mexico, the species that causes most red tides is Karenia brevis.
Mote's red tide research involves everything from understanding how humans are affected when they're exposed to airborne red tide toxins to discovering how and why red tide blooms form and why they eventually break down.
☎️ (941) 388-2904
📧seatrek @ mote.org
2. Teacher PD Workshop
On-site teacher professional development workshop for middle and high school science teachers.
- Lesson plans
- Chat with Mote researchers about red tide
- Free Lunch
- Lab tour
- Stipends available for public school teachers
Red Tide Education Forum
11/17, 11:00 AM ET
Teachers and Students–learn about red tide
The program is a live, two-way interactive video chat focused on the red tide research at Mote Marine Laboratory. Teachers and students will have the opportunity to ask questions with our red tide researchers.
- Register: Livestream via Zoom
- Age (Grade): Teachers of 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th. Students must be 16+ years old to participate.
- Duration: 50 mins
- Fee: FREE
- Keywords: conservation, red tide, phytoplankton, community
Supplemental media featuring red tide research
The following media can be used to enhance understanding of this topic.
- Bad Algae! | NOAA - https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/lessons/bad_algae.html
- Unit III Red Tide and Harmful Algal Blooms | Project Oceanography https://www.marine.usf.edu/pjocean/packets/sp01/sp01u3p2.pdf
- Be START Smart | START - https://start1.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/start-smart-activity-book.pdf
Mote Marine Laboratory
- Lesson Plans from Alison Goldy (agoldy @ mote.org) | Mote Marine Laboratory - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M_NQGxsR0t1xyORlY4KecP1wpqZf1ct5
- Teacher PD slides from Jason Robertshaw (jrshaw @ mote.org) | Mote Marine Laboratory - https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1NQCO4uut13XoEU9whcwa1WbB6PUO9kz4Ljb5QOR00DU/edit?usp=sharing
- Recording of our video chat with Dr. Tracy Fanara | Mote Marine Laboratory - https://youtu.be/DvQwZNwHCgs
- Why Florida's Red Tide Is Killing So Many Animals | SciShow News - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfoTZllvF6M
- See The Red Tide That Is Devastating Florida's Sea Life | National Geographic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WJ0hi_Pi44
- The science of red tide | Fox13 News - https://www.fox13news.com/news/354448225-video
- Beach Conditions Reporting System | Mote Marine Laboratory - https://visitbeaches.org/
- Citizen Science Information Collaboration (CSIC) | Mote Marine Laboratory - https://motecsic.org/
- BCRS Volunteer Reporters | Mote Marine Laboratory - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.visitbeaches.bcrs.user
- A Primer on Gulf of Mexico Harmful Algal Blooms, Common questions and answers for stakeholders, decision makers, coastal managers, and the education community. | FWC - https://issuu.com/motemarinelab/docs/habprimer_10_16_2013_4web
- Red Tide: How to be Ready | Mote Marine Laboratory - https://issuu.com/motemarinelab/docs/motemagazine_annual1718_32pages_ffw/22
- Florida Red Tide: A Bird's Eye View | Mote Marine Laboratory - https://issuu.com/motemarinelab/docs/motemagazine_annual1617_32pages_ffw/16